2014 CME Symposia - Dinner Symposium B
Register for the CMHC today to sign up for these value-added CME/CE activities-at no additional cost!
Pre-registration for symposia will open at the end of August for CMHC registrants to make selections. There are no additional fees to attend. Symposia include meals or refreshments and seating is limited and on a first-come, first-serve basis.
CME Dinner Symposium B
Friday · 7:00 - 9:00pm
Integrated Management of the Complexities of Cardiometabolic Diseases:
A Patient-Centric Team Approach
Supported by an educational grant from Merck & Co., Inc.
Implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act has increased the emphasis on collaboration and teamwork in chronic disease management, the medical home and patient self-management. This unique symposium will discuss the challenges of managing the complex cardiometabolic patient and ways in which a multidisciplinary team approach with a focus on patient empowerment can reduce morbidity/mortality and improve long-term patient outcomes. Expert faculty will provide case examples demonstrating strategies for providing integrated care to type 2 diabetes patients with multiple risk factors.
- Discuss the challenges of managing the complex cardiometabolic patient and ways in which a team-based approach will reduce morbidity/mortality and improve patient outcomes.
- Maximize allied health professional engagement in team-based health care.
- Develop effective communication strategies and collaborative care processes that will augment primary care provider/specialist relationships, with the goal of improving health outcomes of the cardiometabolic patient.
- Actively engage patients in the self-management of their diabetes by providing education about cardiovascular (CV) disease prevention, adherence support for medication and other treatments, and tools and resources for self-management.
- Develop and implement aggressive multifaceted and individualized strategies to attain treatment goals and improve patient outcomes.
Preliminary Agenda & Faculty
|7:00 ? 7:05pm
||Welcome and Introductions
|| Chairperson: Lawrence Blonde, MD
|7:05 ? 7:30pm
||Models for Comprehensive Diabetes Care
|| Presenter: Lawrence Blonde, MD
|7:30 ? 7:55pm
||Overcoming Clinician/Patient Barriers to Treatment and Lifestyle Changes
|| Presenter: Martha M. Funnell, MS, RN, CDE
|7:55 ? 8:40pm
||Performance in Practice: A Case-Based Approach to Providing Integrated Care to Patients with Multiple Risk Factors
Presenters: Honey E. East, MD and Daniel M. Riche, PharmD, BCPS, CDE, Cardiometabolic Clinic at the University of Mississippi Health Care, with discussants: Lawrence Blonde, MD and Martha M. Funnell, MS, RN, CDE
- Implementing Team Care in Cardiometabolic Disease Management
- Case Learning: Management of Type 2 Diabetes Patients with Multiple CVD Risk Factors
|8:40 ? 9:00pm
||Panel Discussion, Wrap?up and Q&A
||Moderator: Lawrence Blonde, MD
Discussants: Honey E. East, MD; Martha M. Funnell, MS, RN, CDE; Daniel M. Riche, PharmD, BCPS, CDE
Lawrence Blonde, MD
Director, Ochsner Diabetes Clinical Research Unit
Frank Riddick Diabetes Institute
Department of Endocrinology
Ochsner Medical Center
New Orleans, LA
Honey E. East, MD
- Premier Medical Group of Mississippi
Martha M. Funnell, MS, RN, CDE
- Associate Research Scientist
- Department of Learning Health Sciences
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Ann Arbor, MI
Daniel M. Riche, PharmD, BCPS, CDE
- Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice
- The University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- The University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Clinic Coordinator, Cardiometabolic Clinic
View Complete Accreditation Details and Program Overview: CMHC Accreditation