2014 CME Symposia - Dinner Symposium A
Register for the CMHC today to sign up for these value-added CME/CE activities-at no additional cost!
Pre-registration for symposia will open at the end of August for CMHC registrants to make selections. There are no additional fees to attend. Symposia include meals or refreshments and seating is limited and on a first-come, first-serve basis.
CME Dinner Symposium A
Friday · 7:00 ? 9:00pm
Improving Awareness and Outcomes in Lipodystrophy Syndromes:
Clinical Manifestations, Diagnosis, and Evolving Therapeutic Strategies
Supported by an educational grant from AstraZeneca | Endorsed by Lipodystrophy United
This symposium, endorsed by the Lipodystrophy United, will discuss the signs and symptoms of lipodystrophy, a rare disorder characterized by selective loss of adipose tissue. If not adequately treated, patients with lipodystrophy remain at risk for severe life-threatening complications and chronic morbidity, such as pancreatitis, end-stage liver or renal disease, accelerated atherosclerosis, and cardiomyopathy. The faculty will explain the metabolic consequences of the disease and present evidence-based treatment recommendations. A Lipodystrophy United Patient Advocate will provide the unique perspective of an individual living with the disease to help overcome common barriers to early recognition and treatment.
- Elaborate on signs and symptoms that might alert a clinician as to the presence of lipodystrophy.
- Incorporate clinical practice guidelines on lipodystrophy into clinical practice to assist in the diagnosis and management of lipodystrophy.
- List metabolic consequences of lipodystrophy and discuss the impact of these consequences on long-term outcomes.
- Identify traditional therapies used to treat the metabolic consequences associated with lipodystrophy.
- Describe how leptin replacement therapy reverses metabolic consequences of generalized lipodystrophy.
- Evaluate clinical trial data on recombinant leptin therapy.
Preliminary Agenda & Faculty
|7:00 ? 7:10pm
|| Chairperson: Abhimanyu Garg, MD
|7:10 ? 7:30pm
||Understanding of the Physiologic Role of Adipose Tissue
|| Presenter: Abhimanyu Garg, MD
|7:30 ? 7:50pm
||Identification, Diagnosis, and Metabolic Consequences of Lipodystrophy
|| Presenter: Elif A. Oral, MD
|7:50 ? 8:10pm
||Novel Strategies for the Management of Lipodystrophy and its Metabolic Complications
|| Presenter: Rebecca J. Brown, MD
|8:10 ? 8:30pm
||The Faces of Lipodystrophy: A Call to Action
||Presenter: Andra Stratton
Sponsored by Lipodystrophy United
|8:30 ? 9:00pm
||Exploring Synergistic Approaches to Improve Metabolic Complications in a Person with Lipodystrophy:
Interactive, Case-Based Scenarios, Panel Discussion and Debate along with Audience Q&A
|Moderator: Abhimanyu Garg, MD
Discussants: Rebecca J. Brown, MD; Elif A. Oral, MD; Andra Stratton
Abhimanyu Garg, MD
- Professor of Internal Medicine
- Chief, Division of Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases
- UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Dallas, TX
Rebecca J. Brown, MD
Lasker Clinical Investigator
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Elif A. Oral, MD
- Associate Professor of Internal Medicine
- Director, Post-Bariatric Surgery Clinic
- Medical Director
- Univ. of Michigan Hospital & Health Systems
- Bariatric Surgery Program
- Co-Founder and President
- Lipodystrophy United
View Complete Accreditation Details and Program Overview: CMHC Accreditation