Apple & Grilled Chicken Salad with Cheddar Toasts
This hearty grilled chicken salad recipe highlights the classic combination of sharp Cheddar and sweet crunchy apples. For a fabulous starter anytime you entertain, simply skip the chicken.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 4 diagonal slices baguette (1 inch thick)
- ½ cup shredded aged Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 head escarole (about 1 pound), torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups sliced sweet, crunchy apples (about 2 medium), such as Hudson’s Golden Gem or Honeycrisp
- ¼ cup slivered red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Sprinkle chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, about 15 minutes total. Grill baguette slices over the coolest part of the grill until toasted on the bottom, 1 to 3 minutes. Turn over, sprinkle with cheese and cook until the cheese melts, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add escarole, apples and onion; toss to coat.
- Slice the chicken. Divide the salad among 4 plates, top each with some chicken and serve with the cheese toasts.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS