Bacon, Tomato & Farro Salad
Farro, a high-fiber whole grain, cooks in about 15 minutes and has an amazing toothsome texture perfect for grain salads. This healthy salad recipe combines the grain with smoky bacon, sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh basil for an easy side dish or light lunch. Look for farro at natural-foods stores and gourmet food markets.
- 1 cup farroor quick-cooking barley
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Place farro (or barley) in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro (about 10 minutes for barley). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; leave the fat in the pan. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Crumble or chop the bacon. Add to the bowl along with tomatoes, basil and the warm vinaigrette; gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS