Balsamic-Glazed Beets with Pecans
The gorgeous colors of yellow and Chioggia beets shine in this recipe thanks to a white vinegar in the glaze. If you’re using red beets, regular balsamic vinegar is also a good option. Serve with grilled steak or roasted salmon fillets.
- 4 cups peeled beet wedges (1 inch thick; about 3 medium beets)
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add beets, cover and steam until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, water, butter, sugar, salt and pepper in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixture starts to bubble. Add the beets and cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beets are glazed, 2 to 5 minutes. Top with pecans.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS