Chipotle-Orange Broccoli & Tofu
Chipotle peppers add kick to this tofu and broccoli stir-fry recipe. If you’re shy about spice, cut back on the amount or leave them out completely. Serve over brown basmati rice.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo, seeded if desired
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Drain tofu and pat dry; cut into ½- to ¾-inch cubes. Sprinkle tofu on all sides with ¼ teaspoon salt. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, stirring every couple of minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and broccoli to the pan and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the broccoli is bright green, about 1 minute. Add orange juice and chipotle and cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Return the tofu to the pan. Cook, gently stirring, until the tofu is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.