Creamy Asparagus-Potato Soup
In this fast asparagus soup recipe, potato adds creaminess without adding cream. Double or triple this soup and freeze the leftovers for a quick lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 ½ tablespoons, divided
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole-wheat country bread cubes (¼ inch)
- Sliced scallion greens for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, asparagus, potato, horseradish and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add bread cubes and cook, stirring, until browned and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with the croutons and scallions, if desired.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS