Creamy Pesto Chicken Salad with Greens
For a healthy variation on creamy chicken salad, we’ve replaced half the mayonnaise with basil pesto. Serve over greens or make it into a sandwich for a healthy lunch.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- ¼ cup pesto
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 5-ounce package mixed salad greens (about 8 cups)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place chicken in a medium saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board; shred into bite-size pieces when cool enough to handle.
- Combine pesto, mayonnaise and onion in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add greens and tomatoes and toss to coat. Divide the green salad among 4 plates and top with the chicken salad.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS