Grilled Romaine with Avocado-Lime Dressing
Romaine lettuce takes on a nice charred, smoky flavor with a quick trip to the grill in this healthy wedge salad recipe. Avocado makes the dressing extra-creamy without any cream. Serve alongside grilled chicken or fish.
- ½ ripe avocado
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 romaine hearts (3-4 ounces each)
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Puree avocado, buttermilk, lime juice, oil, cumin and salt in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Oil the grill rack. Cut romaine hearts in half lengthwise, leaving root ends intact. Grill the romaine, cut-side down, until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve topped with the dressing, tomatoes and pepper.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.