Hibachi Steak Salad
Think of this as the Japanese steakhouse experience in salad form: the creamy dipping sauce for the steak is transformed to a salad dressing and with plenty of added vegetables.
- 1-1 ¼ pounds boneless strip steak (1-1 ¼ inches thick), trimmed
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 medium summer squash and/or zucchini, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted (dark) sesame oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 ¼ teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Place a grill basket on one half of a grill; preheat to medium-high.
- Season steak with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss summer squash and/or zucchini and onion in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Transfer the vegetables to the grill basket. Cook, stirring once or twice, until tender and charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Oil the other side of the grill rack and grill the steak, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, tamari, ketchup, ginger, sugar, garlic powder and the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl.
- Arrange lettuce on a platter. Slice the steak into ½-inch-thick strips. Top the lettuce with the steak and vegetables. Serve with the dressing.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- If you don’t have a grill basket, you can improvise one, fold a 24-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip for the “basket.” You can grill small foods in it that might otherwise fall through the grates.
- Refrigerate dressing (Step 4) for up to 3 days.
- Grill basket