Kale, Carrot & Apple Salad
Emerald-green lacinato kale is the star of this healthy kale salad, tossed with an easy maple, mustard and apple cider vinaigrette and studded with crisp apples. Toss or massage the kale with the dressing about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve. The sturdy kale leaves won’t wilt from the dressing and will taste even better after they’ve been marinated in it.
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 10 cups coarsely chopped lacinato kale (1-2 large bunches)
- 2 sweet-tart apples, such as Golden Russet or Jonagold, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 cup matchstick-cut radishes
- ¾ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree shallot, vinegar, oil, cider, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a blender or mini food processor until smooth and creamy.
- To prepare salad: Toss kale, apples, carrots, radishes and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing; toss to coat.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before tossing with the salad. Dress the salad (Step 2) up to 30 minutes ahead.