Kale Salad with Spiced Tofu & Chickpeas
To top this zesty raw kale salad recipe, we toss diced tofu and chickpeas with a flavorful Moroccan-inspired spice mixture before roasting. The hot oven turns the outside of the tofu crisp and the inside pleasantly chewy.
- 3 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 3 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons lemon juicedivided
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oildivided
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeasrinsed
- 14 cups torn kale (from 1 large bunch) or baby kale
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- ½ English cucumberhalved and sliced
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 2 ½ teaspoons and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil to the remaining spice mixture. Cut tofu into ¾-inch cubes and pat dry. Add the tofu and chickpeas to the spice mixture in the large bowl and stir to combine; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spread the tofu and chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Roast on the lower rack, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, return the reserved 2 ½ teaspoons spice mixture to the large bowl and whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons each lemon juice and oil. Add kale and, with clean hands, massage the greens until they are reduced in volume by almost half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cucumber and toss to combine.
- Serve the salad topped with the roasted tofu and chickpeas.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Cover and refrigerate roasted tofu & chickpeas for up to 2 days.