Nut & Honey Biscotti
This crunchy Italian cookie recipe isn’t traditionally very sweet, so just a touch of honey adds flavor along with mild sweetness. Dipping them in chocolate makes them extra special.
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 cup raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon aniseed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups bittersweet, semisweet or milk chocolate chips, melted
- Position racks in middle and upper third of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake almonds, walnuts and pistachios on the prepared baking sheet until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs, honey and vanilla in a medium bowl until well combined. Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, almond flour, aniseed, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the nuts and stir until evenly combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into two 3-inch-by-12-inch logs on the prepared baking sheet. (Use wet hands to shape the logs without sticking to them.)
- Bake until completely browned and firm when pressed in the middle, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°. Line another large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Working on a cutting board and using a serrated knife, cut the logs into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti cut-side down on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn each biscotti over and continue baking until completely hard in the middle, about 1 hour more. Let cool completely on the pans on a wire rack.
- Coat one cut side of each biscotti with chocolate. Return to the parchment-lined baking sheets and refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Store uncoated biscotti airtight for up to 2 weeks; refrigerate chocolate-coated biscotti airtight between layers of parchment for up to 2 weeks.
- Parchment paper