Pistachio-Crusted Chicken with Warm Barley Salad
Barley and pistachios give this healthy chicken recipe a double dose of nutty flavor. For an easy change-up, swap in your favorite whole grain, such as brown rice, farro or quinoa.
- Olive oil or canola oil cooking spray
- 2 cups water plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 cup quick barley
- 1 cup salted shelled pistachios, divided
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg white
- 2 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bring 2 cups water and barley to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, pulse ¾ cup pistachios, breadcrumbs, orange zest and garlic powder in a food processor until the pistachios are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a shallow dish. Whisk egg white and the remaining 1 tablespoon water in another shallow dish.
- Place chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or heavy saucepan to an even ½-inch thickness. Sprinkle the chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt, coat with the egg mixture and dredge in the pistachio mixture, patting to adhere. Place on the prepared rack. Coat both sides of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes and vinegar. Cook until the tomatoes just start to collapse, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Drain the barley, if necessary, and stir into the tomatoes along with the remaining ¼ cup pistachios, ¼ teaspoon salt and parsley. Serve with the chicken.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS