Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Walnuts
Walnuts, tahini, dill and lemon make an irresistible, earthy sauce for roasted cauliflower in this healthy salad recipe. Serve this cauliflower salad with hummus, grilled chicken and pita for a Middle Eastern-inspired healthy dinner.
- 1 cup walnuts, divided
- 10 cups cauliflower florets (1- to 2-inch florets, from 1-2 heads)
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup tahini, at room temperature
- ¼ cup lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons water, at room temperature, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place ½ cup walnuts in a small saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly softened, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, toss cauliflower in a bowl with oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until browned on the bottom, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Blend the cooled walnuts, tahini, ¼ cup lemon juice and water in a food processor until very smooth, scraping down the sides a few times. If it’s too thick to blend, add additional room-temperature water by the tablespoon until you get a thick sauce.
- Toast the remaining ½ cup walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Chop and add to the cauliflower along with dill, shallot and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Add the dressing; gently toss to coat. Season to taste with more lemon juice, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Tahini is a thick paste of ground sesame seeds with a nutty flavor.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; serve at room temperature.