Shrimp Pad Thai Salad
Transform pad thai into a lower-carb, creative salad by swapping sliced cabbage “noodles” for the rice noodles. Look for convenient cooked and peeled shrimp to make this dish even simpler.
- 3 tablespoons unrefined or roasted peanut oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 8 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (from 1 head)
- 16 peeled cooked shrimp (21-25 count), tails left on if desired
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh mint and/or basil
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and cook, lifting the edges as they set to let uncooked egg run underneath. Flip and continue cooking until set, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool.
- Combine lime juice, fish sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and crushed red pepper (if using) in a small bowl. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Place cabbage in a large bowl and toss with half the dressing.
- Divide the cabbage among 4 plates. Slice the egg and arrange on top of the cabbage along with shrimp, carrot, mint and/or basil, peanuts and scallions. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS