Smashed Cucumber Salad with Lemon & Cumin
Don’t skip salting the cucumbers in this quick cucumber salad recipe—just 10 minutes pulls out some of their excess moisture, concentrating the flavor and keeping the salad from being watered down. Serve as a healthy side dish at a summer cookout alongside burgers and hot dogs.
- 2 English cucumbers, cut into thirds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Place cucumbers on a cutting board and cover with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Smash with a meat mallet or heavy pot until they start to break apart. Tear into bite-size pieces and place in a colander; sprinkle with salt and stir. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil, cumin and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Shake the cucumbers in the colander to drain any liquid. Turn the cucumbers out onto a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Add the cucumbers to the dressing and toss to coat.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Refrigerate for up to 1 day.