Sweet & Spicy Sliders
Grilled sweet pineapple and spicy Sriracha ketchup balance each other in this healthy burger recipe.
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 slices fresh pineapple (¼ inch thick)
- 4 scallions, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 6 toasted slider buns, preferably whole-wheat
- ⅓ cup arugula
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- To prepare ketchup: Whisk ketchup, Sriracha, shallot and vinegar in a small bowl.
- To prepare sliders: Combine beef, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Form into 6 patties, about 3 inches in diameter.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Grill pineapple and scallions until lightly browned and tender, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Cut the scallions into 2-inch lengths.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and all the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Assemble each burger on a bun with a scant 1 tablespoon of the Sriracha Ketchup, pineapple, scallion, mushrooms and arugula.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate Sriracha Ketchup (Step 2) for up to 3 days.