This healthy tomato-vegetable juice recipe contains all the components of a healthy salad, such as lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, celery and carrot, but with less salt than bottled vegetable-blend juices. No juicer? No problem. See the juicing variation below to make this tomato-vegetable juice recipe in a blender.
- 1 cup chopped hearts of romaine
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ¼ fresh jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into eighths
- 2 large stalks celery, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Working in this order, process lettuce, chives, tomatoes, jalapeño, bell pepper, celery and carrot through a juicer according to the manufacturer’s directions. (No juicer? See Tip.)
- Fill 2 glasses with ice, if desired, and pour the juice into the glasses. Serve immediately.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- No juicer? Coarsely chop all ingredients. Place the soft and/or juice ingredients in the blender and process until liquefied. Then, add the remaining ingredients; blend until liquefied. Cut two 24-inch-long pieces of cheesecloth. Completely unfold each piece and then stack the pieces on top of each other. Fold the double stack in half so you have a 4-layer stack of cloth. Line a large bowl with the cheesecloth and pour the contents of the blender into the center. Gather the edges of the cloth together in one hand and use the other hand to twist and squeeze the bundle to extract all the juice from the pulp. Wear a pair of rubber gloves if you don’t want the juice to stain your hands.