Tropical Cucumber Salad
Combine cucumber, avocado and mango with a salty-sweet dressing for a taste of the tropics.
- 3-5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into ¾-inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into ¾-inch dice
- 1 mango, cut into ¾-inch dice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk fish sauce to taste, lime zest, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, avocado, mango and cilantro; gently toss to coat. Serve garnished with lime zest, if desired.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- To peel and cut a mango, slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
- Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Check the label carefully because the sodium varies among different brands.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.