Yummy Molasses Crackles
Crystallized ginger give these chewy molasses cookies a spicy jolt.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus ⅓ cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Beat butter and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and molasses. Mix well.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger in another large bowl until well blended. Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture a cup at a time, mixing well, until it is all incorporated. Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place the remaining ⅓ cup sugar in a shallow dish. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and then roll in the sugar. Place 1 ½ inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies, in batches, until they crackle on top, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.